Friday, February 13, 2009

Trying to understand economics

I was reading another book about economic on the proofreading website I mentioned in an earlier post. The author of the book I was looking at was a guy named Ruskin. He was talking about "political economics", which I think means economics viewed in terms of countries. Anyway he used the word catallactic among some others that I wanted to look up.

Do you ever look up one word and then have to look up ten more to understand the definition of the first word? My head was swimming before too long.

One of the words in an article that came up on my search was circumlocution, which was modified by the words pleonastic and periphrastic. It turns out circumlocution means using too many words and pleonastic means redundant. Periphrastic is word used to describe grammar and it means: using a free morpheme to modify a word rather than using one word. A free morpheme is a morpheme that stands alone. A morpheme can also be a section of a word, it means a unit of meaning, and includes suffixes or prefixes. The example for periphrastic was using two word such as "more pretty," rather than using one word such as "prettier". (I remember studing about morphemes when I was studying linguistics.) So pleonastic and periphrastic circumlocution means something like redundant and abundant over using of words! Was the writer joking?

Out of curiousity, I also looked at a website that was called catallactic. The writer was a young man from India, obviously educated in the west. He said that economics as a field of study is going through a crisis, not just the economy. No wonder!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

majority of people with masters in economics, or even a PhD, probabaly dont know what "catallaxy" means. And thats a pity.

In fact "catallaxy" far better captures the essence of production of wealth in society, as compared to the word "economics"