Friday, September 18, 2009

Some thoughts on fishbowl romance

I'm still thinking about it. This episode of More to Love. I guess it touched a few nerves in my own life. Stuff about falling in love. But it's more than that.

I just watched the finale, so I didn't ever see any of the other girls than the final two, Malissa and Tali. I'm not sure if it was Malissa or Melissa, but I saw Malissa somewhere. And the fellows' name was Luke.

This is obviously just my opinion, but for looks I thought the fellow not all that good looking. But, although the women were overweight, I thought they were pretty. And for personality, I didn't see the appeal of the fellow either. He did how ever have a good job, a successful real estate investor, I think they said. But I just watched the one episode, so I might change my mind if I had seen more of him.

I tuned in somewhere after the beginning. Luke was in the process of taking each girl home to meet his parents. Since his parents were divorced, first it was his father and grandmother and some other family members, and then his mother. Tali was first. The father prayed over the meal and made comments that made it clear that he was a Christian. Since Tali is Jewish he asked her questions about her faith. I wish I remembered exactly what was said. He was fairly direct and clearly making her uncomfortable. But they seemed like legitimate concerns to me. How do you feel about marrying outside of your faith, what about having children, how will you raise them, that sort of thing. Tali handled the questions fairly well. She said something about faith being more important than which faith. I don't know what that could mean. She said she would want any children they might have to know about both of their faiths.

Malissa was never asked about her faith. Or they didn't show that on the show, I guess that's possible, but I kind of doubt it.

After meeting both young women, the father indicated that he thought that Malissa was the better choice. I found myself rooting for Tali. I guess I just liked her better. After his mother met both of them, she sided with Tali.

It was never clear to me if Luke is a Christian, or if Malissa is a Christian.

I guess I'm wondering what people who aren't Christians would think about all of that.

Both women were shown as they put on the finishing touches of their make-up and looked themselves over in the mirror before the final dates. The one, the date where each would find out if she was to be proposed to or rejected.

Malissa said that Luke made her feel beautiful. She was radiant as she walked toward him. She was radiant as she gazed into his eyes...until he told her that she was not the one, then her countenance changed. It was dramatic. I wanted to tell her that she is still a beautiful woman no matter whether she was chosen by this man or not.

I wonder if it's really a very good way to meet someone, in the public eye like a fish in a fishbowl.

Why do they always fall in love? I haven't followed much of these shows but I've never heard of anyone who didn't "fall in love" on them. One person has choices and the others always seem to fall for the one, this one who is after all just a random person.

No comments: