Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Rambling about "Merry Christmas" 2009

I do miss the days when saying Merry Christmas wasn't a point of contention. Then again, even way back in my childhood, when they took prayer out of school, and we were singing Christmas songs, I wondered that they let us do that. It didn't seem consistent. Kids like things to be consistent. Nobody was talking about it back then. I don't think I liked Rudolf the Reindeer. I think I felt ambiguous about Santa Claus. I know I wrote about Christmas being a about the birth of Jesus--I used to have the 2nd grade paper (I wish I still had it, but it's lost).

Now "Merry Christmas" is sort of a charged phrase. It has baggage. But I suppose I can enjoy the holiday anyway, and enjoy getting both kinds of cards--"the Merry Christmas", and "the Happy Holidays" sort, yes and even Happy Hanukah. I think Hannukah is cool. I don't get Kwanza cards (or the holiday), but I guess if I did get them I could be gracious about those too. Let people celebrate what holidays they want. (Within reason.)

But don't tell me I can't celebrate how I want! I guess that's part of what irritates people. Taking Christmas out of the Christmas season, and changing it into something else.

Christmas has probably long been a bit of a mixed bag. As I understand it, Christians took a pagan celebration and made into a religious celebration. It's not in the Bible any where, Christmas, or rather, any indication of what day Jesus was born, though his birth is described.

I have some fond memories of singing at Christmas time. I don't think I realized until recently how much I enjoy singing with other people. I like singing with people who can sing well. One groups of folks I used to sing with were folk-dancers. We had some really good singers in our folk dance group, many Jewish. I thought it kind of curious that Jewish folks enjoyed singing Christmas songs, but they did. I learned a Hanukkah song too (which at first seemed rather silly to me, it just did, I wasn't wanting to poke fun at the holiday). We actually all (all being some of the dancers) practiced for several weeks before we went Christmas caroling. I enjoyed that a lot. That practicing for caroling is not something I've ever seen done by a Church! But I have participated in some Church chorale singing (which involved practicing). I honestly would rather learn Christmas carols (some do benefit by practice).

So, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Holidays, to all!

No comments: